The Story of Stanton Hall
In 1857, Irish immigrant and cotton merchant Frederick Stanton began construction on the home of his dreams: a palatial Greek Revival style residence in the heart of Natchez. Then known as Belfast, Stanton's home occupied an entire city block and cost over $83,000 before it was even furnished. Marble mantel pieces were imported from New York, ornate gasoliers were purchased from Philadelphia, and immense mirrors were ordered from France. The facade of Stanton's home was equally impressive with its Corinthian columns and delicate cast iron railings.
The home was completed only months before Stanton's death in 1859 and was occupied by Union troops during the Civil War. The family remained in residence until 1894, at which point the building was transformed into the Stanton College for Young Ladies and rechristened Stanton Hall.
In 1938, the Pilgrimage Garden Club purchased and restored Stanton Hall to its former antebellum splendor. Officially designated a National Historic Landmark in 1974, the building is now furnished much as Frederick originally intended and offers a glimpse into the domestic life of a wealthy Natchez family.
Daily 30-minute walking tours are given of the home. After the tour, many guests stop to enjoy lunch at the adjacent Carriage House Restaurant, nationally known for its fine Southern cuisine.
For more information about tours or booking, please call:
601.446.6631 or 800.647.6742
Stanton Hall Tour Hours:
Every 30 minutes 9 a.m.-4:30 p.m.